Book 2 - The Killer Inside Me

Sunday, October 16, 2011

| | |
The second book I read from the long list of possibilities is The Killer Inside Me, by Jim Thompson. I knew after the first 5 pages that I would enjoy this one considerably more than "The Scarlet Letter", and I guessed that this was my type of book: a detective story focusing on amain character. Upon its completion, I realized that this novel was rather more psychological and noir.

The story is set in Texas and focuses on deputy sheriff Lou Ford, who, as we can guess from the start, has some "issues". I found the title of the book to be a bit self-revealing, but that must have been done purposely to lead us into trying to comprehend the protagonist's story. Albeit I liked the book in general, I thought it was slightly disturbing at times, and I honestly did not fully comprehend the ending. From the author's explanation by black on white, we pretty much know how the ending played out, but I did not understand the purpose of it or why it had to end the way it ended. Just like a good movie with a bad ending, a good novel with a flat ending (well, from my point of view) leaves me with a bitter taste that the ending was not as good as the rest of the movie. Oh well, I still enjoyed it.

My Rating: Terrible < Poor < Acceptable < Good < Very Good < Excellent

0 comments:

Post a Comment