Book 1 - The Scarlet Letter

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

| | |
It took me a bit more than two weeks, but I finally finished reading The Scarlet Letter, by Nathaniel Hawthorne. I had previously heard of this book numerous times, and as such I was a bit disappointed by this novel of the 1800's. First of all, although I read a lot I am not used to the Old English style of writing composing this book. In the first hundred pages I was completely taken aback by the "thee", "dost", "spake", and so forth, that I had never read.

However, once the actual story began, I started to find it more interesting and got better acquainted with the above-mentioned style of writing. Story of sin, love, life, religion and shame, The Scarlet Letter depicts the story of protagonist Hester Prynne, whose great sin has condemned her to a life of shame. Although the essence of the story was good, I often found myself lost in the paragraph-long sentences. Not uncommonly, the sentences were so long that once the end was reached, I could not remember what I had read at the beginning of it. Apart from the lengthy sentences and the unaccostumed Old English style of writing, I found this book to be readable and at times enjoyable, but I would certainly not read it once more.

My Rating: Terrible < Poor < Acceptable < Good < Very Good < Excellent

0 comments:

Post a Comment